Hiring the Bowling Club for your event

The Hataitai Bowling Club at 157 Hataitai Road is available for you to book for parties, meetings, classes, other events, or as a workspace.

We take one-off and regular bookings.

How to make a booking

To make a booking or find out more, you can contact us online or call our co-ordinator Nikki Smart on 020 486 2821 or 04 386 2821.


The charges per event are as follows (excluding GT), and they cover the use of all our facilities (club rooms, kitchen, BBQ, bowling green and petanque court).

  • 0 - 20 people: $250

  • 21 - 30 people: $350

  • 31 - 40 people: $450

  • 41-75 people: $550

To secure a booking, you’ll need to sign a contract and pay a $150 booking fee/bond. The full hire fee must be paid on or before the day of your event, when you collect the key. Your bond will be refunded after your event provided the premises are left clean and tidy.

Please note that no refund of the booking fee will be made if you cancel within 14 days of your event.

Things to know if you’re thinking of hiring

General conditions

If you’re using the space we require you to be a responsible host and to take care of our community’s asset. You’re expected to leave it clean and tidy after use.

The rules for using the space are:

  • All events must finish before 11 pm, as we are in a residential area.

  • Children must be supervised at all times on the premises.

  • You are welcome to decorate the club for special occasions, but please take the decorations down afterwards.

Alcohol licencing

We are not a licensed club and do not sell alcohol. If you want to organise an event with alcohol:

  • You are welcome to bring your own drinks, but you are not permitted to sell them

  • You can contact the Wellington City Council to get a special license to sell alcohol. It costs $64 and must be applied for at least 4 weeks in advance.

Earthquake yellow-sticker notice

The Bowling Club has been yellow-stickered which means it’s earthquake-prone.

A yellow sticker doesn’t mean it’s dangerous to be in the building. People are allowed to live and work in yellow stickered buildings. It just means that the building has been given a deadline by which time it has to be strengthened, or else it will need to be demolished.

Find out more about the earthquake-prone building stickers and what they mean.